Calendar :: Volume 03, Issue 06
- Ponce de Leon lands near what is now St. Augustine, Fl., 1513.
- Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan ($5B aid to 16 European countries, 1948.
- George Washington casts 1st presidential veto, 1792.
- Tupelo Mississippi virtually annihilated by a tornado, 216 die, 1936.
- In San Francisco, Castro & Fillmore streetcars replaced by buses, 1941.
- In Washington, D.C., President Dwight Eisenhower inaugurated the Presidential Prayer Breakfast. (Its name was later changed to the Annual National Prayer Breakfast, 1953.
- Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant, 1865.
- History was made when local Democratic politician and U.S. congressman Harold Washington became the first black man elected mayor of Chicago, 1983.
- The American Civil War began, 1861.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded, 1870.
- 1st sound on film public performance shown at Rialto Theater (NYC), 1923.
- Insulin becomes generally available for diabetics, 1923.