Sermon Outline :: YOUR APPOINTMENT WITH THE IRS
By Michael Catt
*The following outline is taken from Michael Catt's sermon series on James. The tape series and booklet can be purchased from Sherwood Baptist Church @229-883-1910 or go to their website @www.Sherwood-baptist.org.
James 5: l-6
60s - Characterized by IDEALISM
80s Characterized by MATERIALISM
70s - Characterized INTROSPECTION
90s - Characterized by FUTILISM
James has already mentioned the rich at three other points. 1:9-11; 2:2, 3, 6; now 5:1-6 Money speaks to us in three ways:
- HOLD ON TO ME
- HOARD ME
- HELP OTHERS
There are two typical reactions to James 5:1-6
- Those without money.
- Those with money.
- Guilty of Hoarding v. 1-3
- Now's the time for weeping and howling.
v. 1; Eccl. 5:11; Matt. 6:19-21; Eccl. 2:18
- Now's the time to stop hoarding. V. 2, 3
In this society, there were three primary sources of wealth:
- PRECIOUS METALS/JEWELS
- Guilty of Fraud v.4
"their pay has been withheld"
- Guilty of Self-Indulgence v. 5, 6
- The peril of PROSPERITY.
"you have lived luxuriously"
- The peril of PLEASURE.
"led a life of wanton pleasure"
- Principles to remember:
- Money can't buy HAPPINESS.
- Riches can't save you from HEARTACHE.
- God is keeping a LEDGER and PAYMENT is coming due.
- A lack of JUDGMENT today doesn't mean a lack of JUDGMENT tomorrow.
- The peril of PERISHING.
"you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter" Amos 6:1-7
The precepts you cannot violate and have God's blessings:
- The precept of CIRCULATION.
- The precept of COOPERATION.
- The precept of CULTIVATION.
"everything comes from You, and we have given You only what comes from Your hand." 1 Chron. 29:14.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARE PUT ON HOLD
James 5:7-l 1
- Be Patient in Your Trials.
- WAIT and watch.
G. Campbell Morgan -"To me the second coming is the perpetual light on the path which makes the present variable. I never lay my head on my pillow without thinking, maybe before the morning breaks, the final morning may have dawned. I never begin my work without thinking that perhaps He may interrupt my work and begin His own."
- STAND and watch. v . 8; II Peter 3:3-9
- Be Patient With Your Tongue. v. 9ff; Phil. 2:14, 15; Romans 14:10.
- Be Patient Because of Past Triumphs. v .10, 11
- The perseverance of the PROPHETS.
- The perseverance of JOB. v . 11b
WHEN PAIN LEADS TO PRAYER
James 5: 13-20
- The Church Should Pray. V. 13-16b
- In PROBLEMS. Psalm 50:15
- In PLEASURE. I Chronicles 16:8-12
- In PAIN. v. 14-16
- Are you SICK SICK ?
"sick" - v. 14 - astheneo -
"sick" - v. 15 - kamno -
- Call the ELDERS.
- Let them PRAY. v. 13-18; James 4:15
"pray over him"
- Anoint with OIL.
- In the PRISON of sin. v. 15
- The Christian Should Pray. V. 16b-18
- For God to WORK. v. 16b
"effective prayer" v. 16b
"earnestly" - v. 17
- For STRAYING SAINTS. Gal. 6:1; 1 Peter 4:8
"strays from the truth"
"turns him back" - 1 John 5:16; 1 Corinthians 5:5