Why Worry Is So Insane (if your Dad owns heaven) :: Bill Ellif
Of all the things Jesus could have addressed in the Sermon on the Mount, it's fascinating that He spends a good bit of time in Matthew 6 addressing worry. In fact, He COMMANDS us not to be worried: "Do not be worried about your life." (Matthew 6:25)
We are champion worriers. God knows that worry is so counterproductive. Not only is it useless, but it debilitates life, decimates our faith, destroys our witness before a need watching world, and dishonors God. So, to help us, God gives us multiple reasons why worry is so useless.
1. There are way more important things to do than worry. "Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" vs. 25
3. Your Father who takes meticulous care of birds and flowers values you even more. "...your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?" vs. 26, 28-30
3. Worry changes nothing and destroys everything. "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?" vs. 27
4. Your Father is "previous"… He knows what you need before you ask Him. "For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things." vs. 32
5. Your Father has promised to meet every need if you'll seek His kingdom FIRST. "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." vs. 33
6. Today's got enough troubles so don't speculate about tomorrow. "Each day has enough trouble of its own." vs. 34
7. Your Father is not just any dad…He's the One in heaven! "…your Heavenly Father" vs. 26, 32 He has the means to powerfully and perfectly do what you and others cannot.
Are you worried about anything today? If you're a true child of God, worry is a SIN—simply a lack of faith in your faithful Father (the One who owns heaven and earth). Identify its source and place your worries in the hands of the only One who can do anything about it...and leave it there.
(copyright Bill Elliff, All Rights Reserved)